Monday, September 15, 2008

Our accents... (sigh)

I know this won't be a popular post, but it drives me nuts when I go somewhere like Fenway or out in Boston and I hear "F-in ree-taaahd!" from some knucklehead.

Look, I get it -- Bostonians have an accent and are provincial, and part of the fun for tourists to visit "Baw-Stahn" is to hear our accent, memorialized in "The Departed" and "Good Will Hunting" and "Gone Baby Gone." Go anywhere in America and you will find similar (simi-lah?) examples of local accents from "REAL (fill in the blank)-ians"...

But it's like nails on chalkboard everytime I hear some ciggy-butt smoking six-toothed moron talking about how they "gawt wrecked at the bah and told that kid he was reetahded."

Sure it's charming and funny. But after 10 innings of listening to the alligator-skinned, summer-teeth having, perma-tan woman behind me at the Sox game the other night... let's just say I think everyone's IQ dropped a full point listening to her.

No comments: