Friday, March 14, 2008

How much is too much?

So it's the end of the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics, and it's pretty clear that not all the atheletes are on baord with the Games (sorry -- I am trapped in an allegorical loop of mythic proportions).

Basically, it comes down to this: How much is too much when it comes to sharing in the world of social media? When does the line between opinion and vitriol get crossed? What is the line where you stop telling people about yourself?

For example, I know that tonight I'll be going to meet up with some friends for Ethopian food in Boston. But in telling the blog-o-sphere that, am I sharing too much? I don't know.

I guess it comes down to how you communicate it. Last weekend, I traveled to Hurley, NY (tip: you can't get there from here) to attend the 85th birthday of my fiancee's great aunt. It was a fun affair, complete with a family band (there's really no other way to describe it) led by the great aunt's son. At my table was a nephew who is a general and thoracic surgeon; nice guy, dry sense of humor, and it was great to meet him. But while we were sitting there chatting, he mentioned that he and his family had their dog fixed.

Except... well, he had a more interesting term. He said "Our dog had her uterus out," to which most of the nine other folks at the table were a little taken aback by. Being a surgeon, he probably thought nothing of it, but for those of us not in the field, it seemed a bit, well, strange.

So when it comes to how much is too much, it really comes down to this: Would you say you had your dog fixed or that you had its uterus removed? I would say fixed, but only because I'm pretty sure 99% of my audience would be made umcomfortable by me saying the other option. But what would you do? When is "full disclosure" full, and when is it just disclosure?

No comments: