Monday, March 24, 2008

Deliquent, although not juvenile

Apologies, friends, for not posting for a few days... life, as it often does, interfered with my blogging schedule (such as it is). I'm back now, and ready for action.

So the NCAA tourney has commenced, and I find myself non-plussed by the whole affair, to be honest... as a teenager and a college student, there was no bigger fan of college hoops around. I could tell you not only the names of the starting five of the "almost" undefeated Runnin' Rebels of 1991 but also the name of the booster with the Hot Tub that got them in trouble (Richard Perry) with the NCAA.

As time went on tho, and I moved further from the college scene, I guess college hoops lost some of its luster. Keeping track of 300+ teams and a myriad of players, plus the eventual overexposure of personalities like Dick Vitale, Billy Packer, Digger Phelps, etc... eventually I guess I just found something more worthwhile to occupy my time.

I used to still be able to get interested come tourney time, buying into the "There's no other sports experience like it!"-hype, but even that has waned in recent years. Maybe it's seeing how really mercenary the players have become, or how hard it is to watch the lack of fundamentals (I am old school).

Getting old is an interesting process... sometimes I feel like I am still the same as I was 5, 10 years ago. Other times, like this NCAA thing for example, I feel like I am steadily moving further and further away from my younger days towards middle age. It's like that in politics, too; I used to think that the more liberal, the better. Multiculturalism? YEAH! Political Correctness? YEAH! Apathy or antipathy towards the government and it's role in our daily lives? YEAH!

Now, tho, I feel increasingly like the answer to those questions is "umm... no." And I think it's because I'm starting to realize as I get older that our place in the world and the future that is being shaped by a world that, frankly, doesn't really want much to do with us or, worse, would like to see us go away -- permanently.

So yes, my night table reading is less Sports Illustrated and Entertainment Weekly these days and more non-fiction geopolitical discussions and dog-eared copies of Newsweek. I, for one, think that's a good thing.

Just wish sometimes that more people felt the same...

1 comment:

Davida said...

Hey CPotts,

Let's celebrate getting older and, um, wiser. Let's call it "mature" shall we?